Candidates aspiring to earn the CIA designation must meet certain minimum qualifications:
- Holder of at least a bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, from an accredited institution prior to registration.
- Some professional designations (like Chartered Accountant) might be deemed as the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree but work experience alone will not. Candidates who think their educational background might be the equivalent must select “Other” on the CIA® application’s Education section and clearly provide all relevant info and documentation.
- In certain circumstances full-time final-year university students can enroll and take the CIA® exam parts.
- Must have worked for at least 24 months in the area of internal audit, or audit/assessment, external audit, quality assurance, compliance and internal control.
- A Master’s Degree or business related work experience can count towards 12 months, or half the required experience.
- Candidate must exhibit high moral and professional character and agree to abide by The IIA’s Code of Ethics.
- Candidates may be admitted into the program provisionally prior to satisfying the professional experience requirement, but certification shall only be granted upon compliance of all program requirements.